A detailed review of the use of compression underwear for varicose veins
Compression products knitwear specific density and different degrees of compression (pressure), which is used for the treatment and prevention of varicose veins.
When you put the diseased limb, they create the outer frame which:
- supports weakened muscles of the Shin (here, venous blood flow is directly dependent on muscle tone);
- slightly compress the blood vessels, not so they can be stretched;
- stimulates blood circulation and lymphatic drainage;
- stagnation of fluids.
Produces 6 types of support socks:
- Tights (covering both legs leg on the thigh and ends at the waist).
- Socks (of the lower limbs legs to the thigh).
- Socks (worn on the leg from foot to knee).
- Leggings (remember, the socks, with no heel and socks).
- Socks (worn on the foot at the ankle).
- Sleeve (arm from wrist to shoulder).
The products have a certain degree of compression (pressure) level of the ankles (this begins the most difficult part of the reverse movement of venous blood), which is measured in mm Hg. article and expect, in terms of the severity of varicose veins. Compression jerseys can be prophylactic (low pressure – class 1) or medical (high pressure 2, 3, 4 class).
Not to say that socks are better than tights or stockings – linen and the degree of compression for the treatment and prevention of chooses the doctor-angiosurgeon or phlebologist, he makes the conclusion on the basis of medical history, examination findings and individual testimonies.
How compression underwear
When varicose veins first affects the lower limbs, the blood easily flows from the heart through the blood vessels down, but up, through my veins, rising with some effort. A reverse flow is provided by a number of mechanisms:
- of heart contractions, which are "pushing" the blood, causing it to rotate and the circulatory system;
- the vein valves, which lock the blood part at the beginning, to stop it moving in the opposite direction;
- regular contractions of the muscles of the Hip and thigh (muscle pump), which forms a kind of supporting framework for blood vessels, gently squeeze them and help push the blood upward, from the feet to the hips and pelvis. Their erosion is one of the most important mechanisms in the formation of varicose veins.
Support socks are designed to perform the functions of the muscle pump and the frame. Squeezing the foot in a certain place (the ankle) stronger, others slightly weaker (leg, thigh):
- to provide optimal exposure of all areas of the foot;
- normalizes blood circulation, helping the blood move from the bottom up;
- gently squeezing the muscles, increases the tone of the vascular walls does not allow them to be stretched;
- narrows the lumen of the damaged veins, helping to share some of the blood to healthy blood vessels;
- normalizes the valve device;
- stimulates lymph circulation, remove swelling and congestion;
- reduce the load on the diseased vein.
Normalizes blood circulation in the lower limbs, a properly chosen compression stockings perform several functions:
- Improve metabolism and nutrition of tissues.
- Prevent the development of complications (thrombosis of blood vessels, tissue death due to oxygen starvation).
- Relieves symptoms (pain, itching, swelling the day after).
- To prevent a relapse (re-appearance) of varicose veins after surgery.
- Create difficulties in the care of carry (if needed) – external resources can be used more than the product.
It is important to choose the linen on the recommendation of the doctor-phlebologist, he calculate the time during which you want to use it, and prescribe a comprehensive treatment (without wearing medical socks inefficient).
The kind of knitwear selected depending on the location of the main manifestations, the product should be 15-20 cm above the varicose veins:
- Tights used to lose both legs in the calf thigh and signs of stagnation in the pelvis (the dilated veins and varicose veins in the groin, hemorrhoids), they are useful for the prevention of varicose veins during pregnancy and weight lifting. Tights for pregnant women is a special bandage on the abdomen, which supports, but does not compress it.
- Compression underwear for varicose veins socks usually choose, when it comes to recovery after surgery to remove the veins (the shins hips) on one leg and they are easier to remove and put on (compared to tights).
- Stockings and socks for prevention and treatment of varicose veins in the legs, if the node and the affected vein has not risen to the knee.
- Use socks to improve blood flow to the area of the ankle joints (the ankle).
- Sleeves eliminate lymphostasis pronounced (stagnation of lymph nodes swelling) after surgery, trauma, infectious polyarthritis (joint inflammation).
Contra-indications and complications
Is compression clothes, there is only, it is not recommended to use:
- Atherosclerotic changes in the vessel wall (the formation of cholesterol plaques).
- Occlusive morbo (inflammation of the inner walls of the peripheral vessels of the lower extremities).
- Thromboangiitis (inflammation of the vascular wall with the formation of blood clots).
All diseases are characterized by a narrowing of the lumen of arteries (due to cholesterol plaques or inflammation of the vascular wall), increased pressure in the extremities can aggravate the metabolism and gas exchange in the tissues and cause necrosis (gangrene).
Wrong choice of compression ratio, the type of knit and wear can worsen the condition of the blood vessels and trigger the development of complications (thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, trophic ulcers).
How to wear linen
There are rules that need to adhere to wearing compression stockings:
- underwear in the morning after sleep, not in bed;
- the legs must be dry;
- if you have the need to wear sweaters during the day – you need to lie on your back (no pillow) and lift your legs 15-10 minutes, placing your feet on the pillow (at an angle of 40° body);
- smooth or Golf with your hands is collected in the "accordion" on the heel;
- the rest of the free knitted sock worn on the fingers feet;
- fix the heel (it is located in the exact anatomical heel should not slip, "pull" to the left or to the right);
- linen to evenly distribute the leg, from the ankle to the thigh;
- see that it does not overlap, is not formed of folds;
- the upper part of the stockings (thigh-waist) to use, lift the hips, on the bed.
How to care for knit
Good medical knitwear:
- Must be seamless, in order to ensure a uniform pressure on the surface of the skin.
- Must be hypoallergenic, so you can use it in the hot season.
- Special weaving yarns made of cotton, lycra and micro fiber cloth with different percentages regulates the gas exchange and the temperature of the skin, allowing it to "breathe" and not overheat.
- Due dates are support socks 5 7 months, the longer its use is not recommended, because it will lose its properties (stretched).
How long to use?
Duration of wearing compression underwear is determined by the individual needs and doctor's recommendations:
- Preventive sweaters are recommended to use throughout pregnancy (taking out at night), and in the early stages of varicose veins to wear to work (if it is related to the load on the foot), Hiking, flying on a plane and other situations that can trigger the development of varicose veins.
- Medicine are only indications and prescription. After surgery, the continuous use time can vary from 2-3 days to 30 days. At times – up to 4 months or more.
After extended wear remove clothes gradually: first night, then time to increase, allowing a break of several days, and removed at all.
Compression underwear helps to treat varicose veins only in combination with other medications, otherwise the effect is temporary and unstable.
Get used to knit, learn how to wear and care for, initially, recommended to choose the cheapest product.